Thursday, July 26, 2012

Megan - The Delicate Demon

When I go grocery shopping
I avoid certain aisles
in fear of letting my demon out.
It usually happens in the jelly aisle
or any aisle with a lot of glass jars.
I’ll be walking down it and suddenly
I get this strange urge to just start
knocking everything off the shelf,
like straight-up going bat shit crazy
on some glass jars.
I won’t even talk about the wine area.
It’s as if a switch goes off. I just want to
smash, and crash,
release this pent-up energy.
I want to see
jelly and pickles and juice
and pigs feet
and glass, lots of glass,
crushed and oozing in a beautiful matrimony
of organic colors and swirls with the
dull floor.
I want to see that true honesty of how something so delicate
can be ragged in seconds.
Maybe I’ve created this demon myself.
I’m too delicate.
I’m that glass jar
and I’m always anticipating the fall,
excepting to fail.
I just want to get it over with, and move on.
Here I am just sitting on the shelf.
Motionless.
This demon in me wants to be break into a million pieces
so I can get over being afraid of the future,
and build myself up again, stronger.
Until the less metaphorical version of this happens,
I just want to break shit.
All I want is a baseball bat and a few minutes in Safeway.

1 comment: