Saturday, July 14, 2012

Commentary between Robert & I about his poem


    • Dude. Cool. It seemed like that poem flowed from you. Ah, the sweetness of temporal brilliance. The ecstatic moment of pure truth. Is it worth it.
      I like imagining the spectrum of negotiating with demons. Your poem would exemplify the ultimate. Receiving the godlike wisdom in exchange for everything - left with the thin shell under night sky. And the little negotiations which have been cropping up in discussions I've had about people welcoming demons in.
      One theme I'm seeing in this is how little the people who have encounters with demons understand what is going on. It's mostly the mystery that overpowers them to accept possession rather than the concept of power (certainly this is a motivation).

      Love this poem, Robert. Reading it a few more times over. Will try to make the zine worthy enough to host it.
    • I like the idea of demons as something internal to be overcome. Like Odin or the hanging man. The idea that knowing yourself leads to greater understanding of your surroundings. You know, but how many people fail? Or how many people think they've got it but have been led astray, or knowingly lead others astray. You have to make yourself so vulnerable to learn who you are that it doesn't take much to hear the wrong voice and mistake it for what you're looking for. There is so much ugliness and ego and pettiness inside us and all of that's gotta be reigned in, you know. So a demon would exploit that in a Faustian deal. At least thats what i was going for. Anyway that's my two cents on demons. Glad you dig the poem. Thanks for the topic and for keeping my mind limber. 
    • Right, if life isn't a struggle than a person is probably resigned to one vice or another. Be it complacency, laziness, apathy. Letting the "unexamined life" drag along.
      I was thinking today about my belief in the "flow" which is the the destiny path we follow and all our little choices and la-de-da. When I feel like I am following the "correct" path everything falls into place easily and I go from one project to the next with success. Everyone around me is encouraging and everything goes well. When I am following the "wrong" path everything sucks. My car breaks down, the weather is shit, I am staying up late struggling on a task I no longer believe in.
      I've gone down the latter path once and found myself losing money, time and heading towards spiritual annihilation. Spiritual Annihilation is the ultimate loss.
      I feel.
    • Good thoughts. I've been reading about roman emperors lately. Kind of a super extreme example Marcus aurelius was this humble thoughtful ruler who wrote 'meditations' and is remembered as a significant stoic philosopher. His son commodus was batshit crazy and claimed he was Hercules, had each month of the year named after one of his twelve names and renamed Rome after himself getting himself assassinated. You know, he probably believed his own hype. And that's the thing I guess, to not be deceived or deceive yourself. I don't know..

No comments:

Post a Comment